I read a quote today, “Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow” and started thinking do we really know we matter? And if so, do we believe it? It happens to the best of us: Sometimes it seems like our lives don’t matter. Whether we are struggling with depression, or even if you are having a terrible day, sometimes it seems like, “My life doesn’t matter.” However, hear this, that thought is wrong. YOUR LIFE DOES MATTER.
Our industry is stressful and rewarding at the same time. Over the last 19 years, I finally realized that believing that knowing you matter can change everything, just by a simple acknowledgment.
When people feel like they don’t matter they may get depressed, withdraw and feel not valued. Feeling, isolated and depressed are a miserable company to keep. You may be asking yourself, “Do I really matter?” Wow, this is such an essential question that many people, either consciously or subconsciously, ponder. I don’t believe you need to move mountains, speak at conferences, lead teams, etc. to feel like your contributing. I would encourage you to think about what you are passionate about, surround yourself with like-minded people, which is hard when you are remote, I should know.
I’d love to share my take on “Do you matter?” and have it on my wall so I can read it when questioning if I matter.
I believe and live by this:
- Everyone matters. Every creature, beings’ matters. YOU matter.
- It doesn’t depend on how much you earn, what accomplishments you’ve made, how powerful you are, or the size of your house. YOU matter.
- Have you ever been kind to someone who was down? YOU matter.
- Have you ever helped someone vulnerable and afraid? YOU matter.
- Have you ever taught someone a skill, shared an idea that helped them? YOU matter.
- Have you ever expressed compassion? YOU matter.
- Have you ever asked a question and added to the conversation? YOU matter.
- Have you ever challenged something that needed to be challenged? YOU matter.
- Have you ever made a mistake that helped someone learn? YOU matter.
- Have you ever said “NO!” and paved the way for others to say NO!? YOU matter.
- Have you ever been a mentor to someone who needed guidance? YOU matter.
YOU matter, because you are doing your best every day in this life that’s full of challenges, and no matter how many times you fall, you still impact the world around you by your very existence and your strength to keep moving forward.
Article Continues Below
ERE Media Survey: Is Talent Acquisition Influential?
ERE is conducting a survey to answer those questions. It takes only 5 minutes but the results will make a world of difference.
I have a very challenging ask of YOU! For the next week, every single night, take five minutes and write down just one thing that you did, that made a difference, even if it’s the smallest difference whether it be a kind word, a gesture, an idea, a conversation, a smile, a helping hand, or a question that shared a new perspective.
And if you’re up to elevate your mindset, write down: one thing you’re grateful for, and one positive experience from the last 24 hours. Spend only five minutes, and in one week, then look back at all the ways YOU’VE mattered and made a difference, no matter how big or small. I think you’ll be amazed at the impact you’ve had but never realized it
I have been practicing this for the last ten years, and it has helped me understand and embrace my ups and downs, every day, but I know I MATTER. We matter in a lasting way because each word and each action we put out into the universe has vast ripple effects that extend very far. I hope you’ll embrace the realization that YOU do indeed matter! I hope you know that you matter to me.