Last week, LinkedIn released an ebook for social media managers that contains an updated list of stats about the platform. While this report was designed primarily for social media managers and branding professionals, there is still a lot of interesting data for many sourcers and recruiters.
LinkedIn by the Numbers
- 44% of members visit LinkedIn each month
- Comments, likes, and shares are up more than 60% year-on-year
- 45% of all social media traffic to a company’s homepage comes from LinkedIn
- Millions of professionals create over 130,000 articles per week
LinkedIn pulled some of the statistics from in its report from the digital marketing agency Omnicore. Following the links to its LinkedIn statistics shows more insights into the website. You can find the full list here.
- Total number of LinkedIn users: 590 million
- Total number of monthly active LinkedIn users: 260 million
- Total number of LinkedIn users from the US: 154 million
- Percentage of Linkedin monthly active users: 44%
- Number of new LinkedIn new members per second: 2
- More than 70% of LinkedIn users are from outside of the US.
- Sixty-one million LinkedIn users are senior level influencers, and 40 million are in decision-making positions.
- There are 40 million students and recent college graduates on LinkedIn.
- There are 56% of male users and 44% female users on LinkedIn.
- After the US, India, Brazil, Great Britain and Canada have the highest number of LinkedIn users.
- Only 13% of Millennials (15-34 Years old) use LinkedIn.
- There are 87 million Millennials on LinkedIn with 11 million in decision-making positions.
- 28% of All Internet male users use Linkedin, whereas 27% of All Internet Female users use LinkedIn.
- 44% of LinkedIn users earn more than $75,000 in a year.
- There are over 39 million students and recent grads on LinkedIn.
- Of 500 million users, just 3 million users share content weekly.
- LinkedIn makes up more than 50% of all social traffic to B2B websites & blogs.
- Only one million users have published an article on LinkedIn.
- About 45% of LinkedIn article readers are in upper-level positions (managers, VPs, Directors, C-level).
- How-to and list posts perform the best on LinkedIn.
- Posts split into 5, 7, or 9 headings perform the best.
- Articles with titles between 40-49 characters perform the best on LinkedIn.
- Articles without video perform better than those with video.
- 41% of millionaires use LinkedIn.
- LinkedIn now has over 26 million companies and 15 million active job listings.
- One million professionals have published a post on LinkedIn.
- An average user spends 17 minutes monthly on LinkedIn.
- Motivated was the most overused word on LinkedIn in 2014.
- LinkedIn profiles with professional headshots get 14 times more profile views.
- Statistical Analysis and Data Mining are top skills on Linkedin.
- 59% of Linkedin members have never worked at a company with more than 200 employees.
- There are 5.5 million accountants on LinkedIn.
- There are 3 million MBA graduates on LinkedIn.
- 79% of B2B marketers see LinkedIn as an effective source of lead generation.
- There have been 11 billion endorsements on LinkedIn.
- The average CEO has 930 connections.
- The most overused profile word continues to be “Motivated” – which also topped 2014 and 2015.
- More than 90% of recruiters use LinkedIn regularly.
- LinkedIn SlideShare now has 70 million monthly active users.
** The original article stated that 40% of LinkedIn members use the site each day. Omnicore has removed this statistic from its website and this number was never confirmed or validated. **