Article main image
May 22, 2019 is a website that is designed to help manage conferences and events. It is also a great website to find candidates.

The very first thing I learned in sourcing was the basics, such as boolean, peeling back the URL, and x-raying. I decided to put some of these skills to the test and see if there was anything useful on Sched for sourcers.

X-Ray Search

I started with a simple x-ray and added the term “developer” to my search. I got a lot of results, but nothing useful. I found events and speakers, but no attendees. Speaker lists are usually easy to locate, so I wanted more.

I went back to the drawing board. I again started with a basic x-ray of but decided to get more specific. I decided to look in a thesaurus for other keywords I could use for my search. So when I put in “attendee” I also got “participant” and “list” retrieved “directory.”

I decided to use these keywords since Google has a search limit of 32 keywords. Since “directory” and “list” are words I figure would be in the title of a document and a title of a web page I decided to go with the operator intitle:, which leads us to intitle:(directory OR list), and add the keywords “attendees” and “participants.” intitle:(directory OR list) (attendees OR participants) developer

When I ran this on Google, I received over 10,000 results. I clicked on the result titled Developer Conference 2015: Directory. I opened it and got a list of the attendees at the conference. This result had a mix of usernames and actual names.

I decided to open up one with the username. Once I did, it was like a light shined down, because inside was the company this person worked for, their title, and their email. I highlighted the email and used the Zapinfo search tool and searched PIPL and had all the information I needed, including their full name, title, company, location, etc.

I repeated this method for everyone found at this conference and mostly found what I needed. When I couldn’t find contact information for their real name, I decided to start popping the usernames into Google using the Sales Search chrome extension. I was able to find information related to the usernames pretty quickly and in some cases everything I needed.

Using a Google search got me about 40% of the results that PIPL did not get. So I now have about 80% of the entire list (about 20% left). Now mind you I had over 100 good to go, candidates, so the additional 20% was not needed. However, I wanted to see if I could get more done. So I decided to take the username and pop it into the Intelltechniques username search tool and populate all the places to search. Well as luck would have it, I ended up being able to identify all but one result by merely “following the bread crumbs.” I turned in my work and ended up getting a shoutout from my manager.

As most of you know, I did a short series on combining tools, and how they can let you do more than each tool individually. Well guess what without meaning to, I did just that, but the key here is I started with sourcing fundamentals. I began with boolean and with x-raying and that opened a whole new place to source and combined it with tools to make it even better. Isn’t funny how that happens.

Get articles like this
in your inbox
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting articles about talent acquisition emailed weekly!